145 – Run WordPress on Your Computer with Desktop Server
2 Upcoming WordPress Webinars
- You’re Doing it Wrong – 13 mistakes WordPress users make
- October 4th 10am EST
- Register for webinar
- Classroom: Create a WordPress Theme from Scratch
- October 11th, 10am EST
- $10 before event starts
- Register for classroom
- Video Tutorial on Retina Images coming soon.
- FinCon13 is October 17-20th and I’ll be speaking
- WordPress Developer’s Training
- I’ll will be starting another round of my developer training on October 7th. It’s a four week long course that will take you from a hobbyist to WordPress developer.
Tools / Plugins
This week’s tool is a neat service called YourBrowser.is. This is a great tool for developers to track down bugs for issues clients may have.
All you need to do is send a customized link to a client and when they click on it, and email is sent to you will all the information about their computer.
Run WordPress on Your Computer with Desktop Server
In this episode, it was my privelege to interview Gregg and Marc from ServerPress.com and we talk about their amazing WordPress app called Desktop Server.
What is DeskTopServer? Simple: It gives you the ability to create virtual servers locally for all of your WordPress projects. Im a big fan of MAMP but the Pro version is the one that allows multiple instances.
They have some premium versions available for those that are getting more serious, like WordPress multisite, but the free version is perfect if you are just getting started with running WordPress locally..
Create them simply and then start your development in a safe place. They then are easily accessed from your desktop web browser via a made up domain name: .dev (in example, http://www.example.dev).
Call To Action
- Sign up for next webinar
- Sign up for next classroom
- Catch the video replay of how to create child theme
— Dustin Hartzler (@DustinHartzler) September 11, 2013