048 – WordPress and Phone Numbers
This week I had the pleasure of having Sean and Randy (custom plugin developers from beAutomated.com0 on the show. Our discussion was centered around all the necessary information needed before a programmer (either, software, plugin or theme developer) can actually start coding.
We dug in and looked at one specific field on a form – the phone number. Here are ten specific questions that could be asked of this one small piece of a project:
- Size/width viewable to user
- Maximum length (characters) for text entered
- Label text (e.g., phone, telephone, phone number, telephone number)
- Contextual help information (tooltips)
- Formatting requirements (examples)
- Possible inclusion of an auto-formatter utility
- Validation requirements or behind the scenes conversions
- Consideration for numbers that may have extension numbers appended to them
- International support on prefixes and format considerations
- Breaking into multiple fields, with or without automatic tabbing and autocompletion
If you’d like to read the entire article, you can do so here.