- Check out new Plus+ Membership
- Learn about Advanced WordPress Developer Training Course
110 – Is WordPress.com the Solution for Hosting?
- It’s a super fast performing, highly available grid that processes only the content.
- It’s quite affordable, only $13/yr for domain mapping plus $30/yr for no ads. The money spent supports the WordPress community.
- It’s highly social, powered by JetPack following, sharing.
- It’s completely secure! Other than having a good password on the accounts and periodically exporting the XML of your pages, posts and media, they handle all the security and backups for you!
- Rather than a more traditional top-down structure, WordPress.com treats all contributors as individuals with their own set of sites, subscriptions, and authorities.
What was involved going from .ORG powered to .COM powered
- Setting up a demo account, reserving the subdomain.wordpress.com address.
- Choosing a Theme. We selected the ever popular Twenty Eleven theme designed by the WordPress team.
- Exporting the posts, pages, and media using Tools-Export.
- Importing into WordPress.com using Tools-Import, and mapping usernames accordingly.
- Launching the domain involved purchasing the Domain Mapping product for a small fee.
When to consider the WordPress.com hosted platform